Bluefield Regional Medical Center's Respiratory Therapy Department is comprised of nationally credentialed respiratory therapists who are all licensed in WV. Medical direction for Respiratory Therapy comes from Board Certified Pulmonologists, from Neurologists for the EEG and Sleep Studies and from Surgeons for the noninvasive vascular studies. In addition to JCAHO, the College of American Pathologists certifies the Blood Gas Laboratory and the Intersocietal Commission for the Accreditation of Vascular Laboratories accredits the Noninvasive Vascular Lab.
Department members are active in the West Virginia and Virginia Societies of the American Association for Respiratory Care and members on staff have served both as President of the WV Society and VA Society of the AARC.
Respiratory Therapy Scope of Service
- Arterial Blood Gas Service
- Breathing Treatments and Breathing Exercises
- Mechanical Artificial Ventilation
- Ventilatory Support Modalities
- Oxygen Delivery
- Spirometry Before and After Bronchodilators or Exercise
- Flow Volume Loops
- Body Plethysmography for Lung Volumes and Airway Resistance
- Nitrogen Washout for Lung Volumes
- Lung Gas Diffusion
- Sleep Studies
- Noninvasive Vascular Studies